Few things to note about "hidden departments":
- Hidden departments are accessible only by methods of transfer chat or by department specific chat icon HTML Code.
- Hidden departments are not visible for selection on the visitor chat request window.
- Hidden departments do not affect the general (All Departments) chat icon online/offline status. Only the department specific HTML Code displays the hidden department's status.
Hidden departments can accomplish a tiered level support system. First tier is the front-line support representatives assigned to a visible department ("Customer Support"). Hidden department "Supervisor", "Manager" or "Level 2 Tech" could be the second tier. The front-line representatives can transfer the chat session to the hidden department if the visitor requires an escalated assistance. Hidden departments allow management and supervisors to effectively do their tasks while interacting with selected chats which may require extra attention.
Hidden departments can also be useful during a chat representative training sessions. The trainee would handle the front-line chat requests and if he/she is uncertain about a question, the chat can be transferred to the "Supervisor" (hidden) department.
Another benefit of hidden departments is to monitor your website traffic without being online. Because hidden departments do not affect the general (All Departments) chat icon online/offline status, an operator of the hidden department can remain online to monitor website traffic indefinitely. This is helpful when wanting to gather website data after business hours.
To setup a hidden department, you'll want to do the following:
- Login to your PHP Live! setup area
- Click the top menu "Departments"
- Proceed to edit a department and check the "Visible for Selection" option to "No"
- Save and Done!
Don't forget to assign an operator to the department.