The following is the installation procedures for the Download Solution. (Installation is not required for the On Demand Solution.)
- Any server OS (Mac, Windows, UNIX)
- Any web server (apache, IIS, etc)
- Server must have PHP >= 4.3+
- Server must have MySQL >= 4.1+
FTP program recommendation - Some FTP programs tend to skip or partial FTP of files during bulk FTP. If you receive errors on your PHP Live! system after installation, you may want to upload the files again. We recommend FileZilla FTP Program.
Optional Installation on HTTPS (SSL): To install the system on HTTPS, access the PHP Live! system from the HTTPS URL on step 4.
INSTALL-STEP 1. Contact your website admin to create a new database for your PHP Live! system. Request the following information:
- Be sure the MySQL user (MySQL Login) has the following privileges granted: SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE, CREATE, DROP, INDEX, ALTER
Obtain the following MySQL information from your server admin after they have created the new database for the PHP Live! system:
- MySQL Host
- MySQL Login
- MySQL Password
- MySQL Database Name (new database created for the PHP Live! system)
INSTALL-STEP 2. Transfer (FTP) the PHP Live! files to your web server:
- Login to the Client area and access the top menu Downloads to download the latest PHP Live! version (ZIP compressed file) to your computer.
cPanel NOTE: For SiteGround or other types of cPanel, upload the ZIP file directly to the server using the cPanel "File Manager", making sure the upload location can be accessed from a web URL (example: www.your-website.com/phplive). After the ZIP file upload, "Extract" the ZIP file using the cPanel "File Manager" (there should be an "Extract" icon near the cPanel top menu. After complete, skip to step INSTALL-STEP 3. Non cPanel users, continue to the next step 2 for the standard FTP method.
- Unzip the downloaded file and extract the entire phplive/ folder to a location on your computer.
- Open an FTP connection to your web server.
- FTP the entire phplive/ folder (and the entire contents) from your computer to your web server, making sure that the FTP destination on your web server can be accessed from a web URL (example: www.your-website.com/phplive/).
INSTALL-STEP 3. Set the directory permissions:
The directory phplive/web/ will need full read/write access by the web server. The phplive/web/ directory will store temporary files and other software dependent dynamic files.
- From the FTP program, access the phplive/ folder to view the contents.
- Locate the phplive/web/ folder and right click the folder name to display the directory options and select option "File permissions" or "Permissions".
- Check ALL the boxes, including "recurse into subdirectories" and submit changes.
4. Final Step: Access the web based installation:
- Open a web browser and access your PHP Live! system. (example: www.your-website.com/phplive/)
- Proceed with the web based installation, having the above MySQL information handy.
- Provide all the values on the Installation page. Install and Done!
Errors to note:
500 internal server error - If you receive this error when accessing the phplive/ directory via the URL, try setting the phplive/web/ folder permission to 0755 (on the FTP program, right click the property option on the phplive/web/ folder and put 0755 for the "Numeric value" input field. Be sure the "recurse into subdirectories" checkbox is checked and then submit the changes.
Tips and Tricks
After the system has been installed, for those that are wanting to move the phplive/web/ directory to another location on the server that is not accessible by the web browser, the following documentation details the procedures: